Lynchburg Falls to Dickinson in NCAA Second Round

Lynchburg Falls to Dickinson in NCAA Second Round

CARLISLE, Pa. --- The Lynchburg College men's lacrosse team cut a six-goal deficit down to one early in the fourth quarter, but the Hornets couldn't complete the comeback, falling 16-12 to ninth-ranked Dickinson on the road in the second round of the NCAA Division III tournament at the Red Devils' Biddle Field in Carlisle, Pa.

Senior midfielder Colin McGuire (Odenton, Md.) led the Lynchburg offense with four goals and three assists, while sophomore midfielder Kevin Rogers(Leesburg, Va.) netted a game-high five goals to go with one assist.

Senior goalie CJ Santora (Tewksbury, Mass.) made 11 saves minding the net for Lynchburg, and junior midfielder Nick Willertz (Severn, Md.) picked up a team-best five ground balls and caused three turnovers.

Tucker Carney led Dicksinson's effort with a four-goal game.

The Red Devils assumed an early 2-0 advantage on goals by Tyler Strods and Brodie Phillips in the first five minutes of play.

Lynchburg tied the game with three of the next four scores -- the goals coming from junior attackman Evan Lombardo (Franklin Park, N.J.), Rogers, and McGuire -- but DC took a 4-3 lead with 12 seconds remaining in the first when Charlie DeMuth found the back of the net.

Dickinson took control in the second quarter, extending the late first-period goal into a 6-0 run that gave the hosts a 9-3 lead.

McGuire seized some momentum for LC with 8 seconds before halftime, netting the Hornets' fourth goal with an unassisted score, and Lynchburg entered the half down, 9-4.

LC was unable to take advantage of any of its four man-up opportunities in the half, though the Rogers' goal at the 2:55 mark in the first did come just after the teams were even following a Red Devils penalty.

The two teams traded goals in the early minutes of the third quarter, the Hornets' goals coming from McGuire, Rogers, and sophomore attackman Trammel Robinson (Memphis, Tenn.), but a man-up opportunity again swung the momentum to Lynchburg with just under 6 minutes left in the period. McGuire found senior attackman Shayne O'Brien (Duxbury, Mass.) for a score during the penalty, kicking off Lynchburg's 3-0 run that brought the period to a close. McGuire's pair of unassisted goals, his third and fourth of the game, made it 12-9 in favor of the Red Devils entering the fourth.

Rogers added another LC goal in the first minute of the fourth, and he scored again just over a minute later to cut the hosts' lead to one, 12-11.

That was as close as the Hornets would get, however, as Dickinson scored the next four goals to put the game away.

Rogers scored his game-high fifth goal with 1:29 to go to bring the score to its final standing. The five scores mark a career-high for the sophomore.

Dickinson (16-3) won the face-off battle by a 22-9 count, and the Red Devils also held a 39-23 advantage on ground balls.

Lynchburg (12-9) won its first Old Dominion Athletic Conference championship since 2015 this season and reached the NCAA tournament for the seventh-consecutive year.

The Hornets will await the unveiling of the All-ODAC teams on Thursday, May 10, which will kick off the postseason awards announcements for the 2018 campaign.

--- This release is courtesy of the Lynchburg College sports information department. ---