ATLANTA, Ga. --- The No. 23 Washington and Lee women's tennis season came to an end at the hands of No. 1 Emory, 5-0, in the third round of the NCAA Tournament on Sunday.
The Generals finish the 2019 campaign with a 17-8 overall record, while the Eagles improved to 20-3 overall with the win.
The Eagles claimed all three doubles matches, before sophomore Valerie Marshall (Arlington, Va./Yorktown) and junior Lily Horsley (Richmond, Va./St. Catherine's School) fell in No. 1 and No. 4 singles, respectively. Emory's Ysabel Gonzalez-Rico defeated Marshall, 6-3, 6-0, and Emma Cartledge won, 6-0, 6-3, over Horsley.
#1 EMORY UNIVERSITY 5, #23 WASHINGTON AND LEE 0
May 12, 2019, at Atlanta, Ga. (Woodruff PE Center)
1. Ysabel Gonzalez-Rico (EU) def. Valerie Marshall (WLU) 6-3, 6-0
2. Daniela Lopez (EU) vs. Taylor Garcia (WLU) 6-3, 4-1, unfinished
3. Defne Olcay (EU) vs. Georgia Wright (WLU) 6-2, 4-0, unfinished
4. Emma Cartledge (EU) def. Lily Horsley (WLU) 6-0, 6-3
5. Mary Hampton McNeal (WLU) vs. Jessica Fatemi (EU) no result
6. Anna Kreynin (WLU) vs. Lauren Yoon (EU) no result
1. Ysabel Gonzalez-Rico/Defne Olcay (EU) def. Valerie Marshall/Lily Horsley (WLU) 8-2
2. Daniela Lopez/Jessica Fatemi (EU) def. Taylor Garcia/Georgia Wright (WLU) 8-5
3. Stephanie Taylor/Christina Watson (EU) def. Anna Kreynin/Mary Hampton McNeal (WLU) 8-3